Unfortunately, that’s where the easy part stops: you can’t use AirDrop to share from Apple devices to Android, for example, or use the feature to export things.
Instead, you can use a free third-party app called Snapdrop, which works on desktop and mobile computers including Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari (there is also the Snapdrop Android app). Once you have a website, it allows you to instantly share files, photos and videos between any device – even Windows and Linux computers – without having to sign in.
There is an option to activate black mode, but otherwise it is about moving those files from one device to another.
Here, we will focus on sharing between Android and iPhone. For this, you will need to use Safari on an Apple device and use at least iOS 13.
How to share files between Android and iPhone using Snapdrop
- First, grab an Android device that contains the files you want to share. Be sure to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and launch a web browser like Chrome. Now go to https://snapdrop.net.
- As soon as the Snapdrop website uploads, be aware of the name provided on your device.
The names assigned to Snapdrop automatically allow you to see which devices you will share files with.
- Hold the iPhone you want to use to find the file. Make sure you connect the device to the same Wi-Fi network.
Also, start a mobile browser like Safari and go to https://snapdrop.net.
- Now is the time to share the file.
For a device that contains a file, tap the name of the device you want to share the file with. So on our Android phone, we touch Tan Tiger.
- You will now see a few options. Depending on the device you are using to send files from, you will see little difference here. But in general, you can browse saved files or take a new photo or video.
On Android, tap Files to browse your device and browse and select the file you want to share. Alternatively, tap Camera to take a photo or tap on “Video Video” to record a video – tap the blue tick to make sure you’re happy with the photo or video
- On the iPhone, tap Select Files to browse your device and browse and select the file you want to share. Tap “Take a photo or video” to capture a new photo or video and then tap “Use photo.”
The iPhone version of Snapdrop also has the option to tap on “Photo Library” to quickly browse your saved photos. Select an image to send and tap Add.
- You can now tap Save to download it. Tap Ignore if you have made a mistake.
To avoid this step and download the file immediately, click the box next to “Request to save each file before downloading.”